Sunday, June 29, 2008

Black Bean Cakes with Orange Basil Salsa


For a long time I disliked sweet-savory combinations and would never have considered a dish like this, as fruit salsas fell into this category. How much food fun I missed out on!

I have never made bean cakes in my life, but I found this recipe for Black Bean Cakes with Orange Basil Salsa on a healthy-cooking site and since I'm trying to eat healthy and up the fiber for E I thought I'd give this a go, so I defrosted some black beans that were leftover from when I'd made chili.

It wasn't a fast recipe (I'm not really quick with all the chopping up) but it was fairly easy. Other than the bean cakes turning out too dry (need to play with the recipe sometime) it was FABULOUS. The bean cakes were really tasty and meaty and the salsa was just the perfect complement. I added some Greek yogurt to sub in for sour cream, and that was a good fit, adding moisture and richness.

E wasn't here for the recipe but I went ahead and made it anyway as the beans wouldn't hold for another 3 days, but I think he'd have really liked it - and I'll like having it again.

No comments: