Friday, June 27, 2008

Lebanese Eggplant Salad (Salatit El Batinjan)


Two weeks back my husband E came home with take-out Lebanese food for dinner from Noura. Noura always has good food, but the choices he made were outstanding, and everything really tasted great that day. Among the new dishes was an eggplant salad that had peppers in it and was very different from baba ghanoush. I looked up recipes for a while on the internet until I came across one that seemed to have roughly the same ingredients.

This recipe for Lebanese Eggplant Salad turned out excellent. I don't have a good enough memory of the specifics of the dish from Noura to be certain that it's the same salad, nor to compare the two, but I am sure that this one is REALLY good and I'm pretty sure that my version is healthier (eggplant absorbs oil like nobody's business!). It was pretty easy to make but did require some time (roasting the eggplants, which I did a few days ago). I did modify it - the salad from Noura did not have tomatoes in it, so I omitted them, and I also played w the spices a bit, adding cumin and used some smoked salt to give it a richer flavor. I also used more eggplant than the recipe said (I had smallish ones, but even then easily equivalent to 2 mediums).

I was hoping to have a lot leftover to share w E, but I'm not sure that's going to work out!

No comments: