Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mache salad with grapefruit and tarragon

I've always been a just-throw-it-together salad girl. I never understood the idea of salad recipes. I mean, it's salad, what's so hard? My mom made mixed salads like that all my life, on a base of lettuce cutting up whatever veggies were in the fridge, I never knew other kinds of salad really. My stepmom makes 2 really good salads, one a parmesean-pinenut-romaine salad, the other Asian with mandarin orange slices and almonds. But even with those salads, nothing ever clicked for me.

Until this one. This salad was borne of a few extra minutes on the web, throwing ingredients into the search engine and seeing what came up. E had bought 2 containers of mache (lamb's lettuce) at the market and one was still untouched, so I was looking for a recipe interesting enough to get him to eat a salad (not an easy task). And I found this.

This salad was AWESOME. I made it without the chicken because we didn't have any - so it was vegetarian and light and really good. The grapefruit gave enough to be interesting, and even though my avocados turned out to be pretty yucky the dressing and other elements made you forget the bland and hard avocados. The dressing was the key, I actually had the tarragon mustard they called for and I suspect that helped, along with my favorite hand mixer which was able to make a nice emulsified mix.

E paid a very high complement - not only by eating all of his, but by telling me it was "tres fin" which is one of the highest cooking complements available.

A hit, that will make another appearance - maybe with chicken next time. Yum.

No comments: