Saturday, June 28, 2008

Kefta and zucchini kabobs



What to do with a package of ground beef? That was the question I asked myself yesterday, and asked Google to help me answer. After a lot of looking around, I came across this recipe for Kefta and zucchini kabobs - and I was set. I still had the eggplant salad leftover and thought I could pull off making a full Middle-Eastern dinner for E and I.

It was a bit of work - there is the sauce, marinade for the zucchini, and then the meatballs themselves to make, but it was really good, and really authentic tasting. I added breadcrumbs without thinking and this was a mistake - they soaked up the moisture in the egg and the meatballs were crumbly (I'd also used extra-lean beef, so unfortunately they tended towards dry). Next time I'll use regular ground beef (or lamb if I can find it). I also found out that allspice in French is "quatre epices" but I didn't have any so I added a small amount of nutmeg and clove. In the future I'll have the right spices, and maybe even dial them up a notch - I held back and shouldn't have.

I also whipped up some hummus and bought pita bread, and the whole meal was really good. And healthy for all of us.

No comments: