Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lentil Tacos

I made lentil tacos a bit by chance, but they will become a regular addition to our menus, because they were FABULOUS.

My wonderful husband E had made a huge pot of not-so-wonderful lentils as a side dish for dinner on Friday night. No flavoring, nothing, just plain boiled lentils. They weren't a big hit, but they weren't bad either, just bland (and perfectly cooked). I put the leftovers in the fridge and when looking online for recipes using lentils on Saturday before lunch came across several for tacos.

Since all things Mexican are a-ok for me, I jumped on it and read 3 or so recipes and then improvised. I personally think they tasted just as good as the beef ones I make from time to time, but the sauce wasn't quite as good as I usually make it. The boys felt it was good but not quite as good as usual, probably because they knew it was vegetarian... next time I'll add some meat and fib about the proportions, and go back to my normal seasonings too.

The worst part of tacos here in Paris remains the taco shells - just horrible stale industrial stuff, we're better off w the soft flour tortillas for soft tacos or biting the bullet and frying the corn ones (but ugh, what a mess and time consuming process...)

No comments: