Sunday, April 27, 2008

Baby artichokes braised in white wine & thyme

At the market this morning there were these gorgeous purple baby artichokes.

Ignoring my promise to not buy much of anything since we are leaving for a vacation later this week, they sang to me so I bought them, happy with the challenge of figuring out how to cook them. I've seen the baby artichokes at the market several times, but never had any idea how to cook (or eat) them.

But I love artichokes and they are among the few veggies that my DH really likes too, so I figured it was worth a try (even though the big globe artichokes are a steady favorite). Turns out they are pretty time-consuming to prepare, but the result was indeed very good. Next time I need to remove more of the outer leaves and pay more attention to buy really really small ones. I bought two batches of them, and one set was noticeably smaller than the other - and they were MUCH easier to eat.

My recipe, from the San Francisco Farmer's Market Cookbook, was pretty easy and turned out quite well, although next time I'll try to cut down on the olive oil and add lemon.

No comments: