Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fiber banana cranberry muffins

Last week at the market the guy at the fruit & veggie stand gave me some bananas. They were closing for the summer and he gave me some extra freebies (he does this from time to time). I rarely buy bananas - they're not one of my favorites and E doesn't buy them regularly either. When I have them they go into smoothies or more often we watch them start to go bad and then E will make bananas foster (loaded with butter and sugar - yikes!).

The fate of the current batch of bananas was looking to be similar - for one week untouched by all of us, now starting to get soft (which the French like, buy I don't). One made it into a smoothie this morning (along with all the leftover fruit from this week, before I stocked up again at the market). But what to do with the others?

My mom used to make banana bread from time to time, so I set about trying to find a healthy recipe that E will like (I've never been a huge banana bread person myself. I finally found this recipe that upped the fiber and there we had it. I subbed dried cranberries for raisins as E prefers them. I think I forgot to put in the oil but I'm not 100% sure on that - I was doing several things at once but I'm pretty sure I made them fat free, not even subbing in applesauce. Totally inadvertent on my part, but the result is dense little muffins. They're not too sweet but they might be too far into health food for E to like them...

No comments: