Sunday, May 18, 2008

Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Swiss Chard

I made this recipe tonight looking up swiss chard on a foodie website, as many of my culinary adventures begin, having an ingredient on hand and looking up how to use it. I'd actually started looking for swiss chard and ricotta, but found this with good ratings and decided to go for it.

It was good and surprising - even my husband liked it, hard to imagine for a vegetarian dish! I didn't use nearly as much oil as the recipe called for, and I used a cookie sheet to roast the chickpeas instead of an 8x8 pan, which I think ended up with the chickpeas overcooked and chewy - almost crunchy. It wasn't bad, but it was kind of weird, and in the future I'd use a lower temp oven, a deeper dish as they recommended, and pay more attention to the cooking time, as the French garbanzo beans are considerably smaller than the American ones, which might also explain the over-cooked phenomena.

To the swiss chard I added beet greens, and the combo was really good. There was a strange sweet smell in cooking which I didn't like and could taste a little - either the beet greens or the bay leaves. Next time I'll try without bay leaves and see... beet greens are a rare delicacy, hard to predict if they'll be around in the future or not...

I'd make it again!

No comments: