Thursday, January 24, 2008

Polenta with mushrooms forestière

I cooked again tonight.

I wanted to make a nice dinner for my DH but he was on a plane and so it ended up being for me and my DSS. I also wanted to make some of the recipes I've been collecting, and this one from a cooking magazine had looked interesting on a number of levels. It used stuff I already had in the house, looked like something my DH, DSS & I would all like, and something I could see becoming a relatively standard dish, as most of the ingredients are from a pantry or freezer.

I actually improvised, which I rarely do w new recipes. For one thing, we had 2 ground beef patties defrosted - not enough for 3 people for dinner as "steak haché" but also needing to be used up. Remembering my childhood, where my mom made this weird dish with hamburger and cream of mushroom soup, I decided to brown the ground beef and add it to the mushroom mix. I also used 2 kinds of mushrooms - morel and 'champignon de Paris'. I added thyme. I put the cheese on the top of the mushrooms instead of directly on the polenta (not sure that was a great choice). I used the pre-made polenta we buy at the organic store (comes in a tube like a sausage) and I'm not sure I used enough polenta to the mushrooms.

Next time I think I'd try a bit of wine in the sauce to give more depth, but it was good and reasonably quick.

It was a hit for me and the DSS, my DH came home too late and too tired to eat it but he thought it looked good.

No comments: