Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ce que le jour doit à la nuit, Yasmina Khadra

A family friend had loved Ce que le jour doit à la nuit, and recommended it to me and so I decided to go ahead and try it in French.  As is always the case when I read in French, it's frustrating to read so slowly and for it to require so much effort, so it is easy to get distracted, easy to put the book down and pick up something else, and not easy to finish.  I finally picked up the book again and pushed myself through it, and was glad I did.  When I had longer stretches of time to read it was very enjoyable, which is an important lesson in terms of future reading in French - it's hard for me to do it in small 20 minute slices since each time it's hard to fall back into it (unlike in English).

The book was nice & interesting.  Well written, good descriptions, and I really liked the lack of melodrama that accompanied the major plot twists.  Not yet out in English, by the way.

No comments: