Friday, January 2, 2009

24 heures dans la vie d'une femme - theatre


We saw 24 heures dans la vie d'une femme tonight (English title must be 24 hours in the life of a woman) by Stefan Zweig. It was a surprise for me, E called me late in the day to propose going to a play. I usually try to read the plays before we see them so I can follow along effectively, but this wasn't possible. It was pretty hard to follow, as the text used a lot of passe simple and imparfait du subjonctif, neither of which are conjugasions used in everyday French. What's more, it's actually a short story converted into a one-act (hour and a half) play, with huge long monologues, so I had to be very carefully focused to capture everything.

The text was really amazing, the acting was good but not great. The theatre seats were benches with no back support and my back aches from sitting at close attention for so long. But it was a really nice surprise for the evening, and makes me want to move Stefan Zweig up on the reading list.

No comments: