Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Almost Moon - Alice Sebold


I picked up The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold last weekend in London and I kept it around for reading instead of Cat's Cradle that I had traveled with, because Cat's Cradle didn't grab me, and the first sentence of Almost Moon did ("When all is said an done, killing my mother came easily").

It was no literary masterpiece, and the central characters lack anything positive to make you really care about them. The story was actually well-told despite that, and the suspense well built (even if you didn't really care about the outcome). I felt parts were expecting people to be idiots. The big reveal that the father had been in a mental institution was so obvious I couldn't fathom who wouldn't have already figured it out based on the highly manipulative way it was presented - so it makes the main character look like a dope.

The next book will be an award winner, I don't want more disappointments...

No comments: